Stronghold (SH) is a historical real-time strategy (RTS) game developed by Firefly Studios, released on October 2001.
Stronghold is an isometric sim game that involves building a castle and managing a castle economy, while keeping it safe from attacks of adversaries and other random events. The objective of the player is usually to best other enemies by killing their main unit, the Lord.
Players can build various structures that have different purposes, such as extracting/processing resources, crafting weapons and acting as a means of defense. Buildings cost resources that are immediately deducted upon siting. Weapon workshops supply the army with weapons that can be consumed by recruiting units at the barracks. Players must always keep an eye on their peasant influx by managing their popularity.
On the battlefield, units can engage each other in melee, or from range. Foot units usually take equipment and gold to recruit, however siege engines and some utility units take only gold. Units can also attack structures, however this task is best left to siege engines that have to be constructed and manned by engineers first. Units can also scale walls and towers to gain bonus range and damage reduction to projectiles coming from below.
Features and plot Edit
The game takes place in a fictive Medieval Britain, in the eleventh century, where the rebellious Duc Volpe sends the English regime into disarray and takes over the crown, exerting control through his loyal landlords. The remnants of the Court are forced into hiding, until at one point they decide to fight back with the lead of Lord Woolsack and Sir Longarm.
Stronghold offers two campaigns:
- Military campaign: this long series of missions accompanies the story of the Boy, who fights for the reunification of the country with the mentoring Longarm and Woolsack.
- Economic campaign: a loose series of missions, where the player needs to fulfill certain objectives by careful management.
Moreover, the game enables online play (Skirmish) for up to eight human players, where alliances can be set up between players. The last player/team standing wins.
As well as earning many favorable reviews from reviewers such as PCGamer and GameSpy, the game continues to boast a large community, who edit and create various material through the in-game Map Editor/Scenario Creator.
Stronghold also spawned its own series and spin-off sequels, continuing well into the present day. These are:
- Stronghold Crusader, a historical sequel that plays during the Crusader campaigns
- Stronghold 2, an alternate successor that focuses on castle management, as well as the first 3D Stronghold game
- Stronghold Legends, a spin-off that brings together various medieval mythology worlds
- Stronghold 3, a minor game that continues the story of Stronghold
- Stronghold Crusader 2, the continuation of Crusader, which streamlines and revamps skirmish gameplay
- Stronghold Kingdoms, a real-time online MMO that plays on a world map, with village and castle management.
Stronghold Warlords is the latest incarnation of Stronghold that brings the castle sim to Eastern Asia, currently in development.
Stronghold is available at Steam, in HD (Stronghold HD).
|Units||Military • Civilian • Characters|
|Buildings||Castle • Military • Defenses • Civilian|
|Single Player||Campaigns • Castle Builder • Custom Scenarios|
|Multiplayer||Connections • Skirmish|
|Main series||Stronghold • Stronghold 2 • Stronghold 3|
|Crusader series||Stronghold Crusader • Stronghold Crusader Extreme • Stronghold Crusader 2|
|Spin-off series||Stronghold Warchest • Stronghold Kingdoms • Stronghold Legends|